Since my previous post about flashing my new Samsung Captivate from the stock Rogers ROM to the AT&T build of Android 2.2 I’ve flashed the device to a couple different versions of the Cognition ROMs. They’re certainly an improvement over the stock Rogers ROM, but Cognition is still based on the AT&T ROM, and I really do think that the Rogers ROM would actually be a better starting point because there is a lot less cruft. So, without further adieu here is my wishlist for a hybrid Rogers/Cognition ROM:
- Get rid of that damn AT&T boot logo
- Let me select the original Samsung Galaxy boot/shutdown animations, they’re actually really nice
- Use the Rogers modem files, since they have superior GPS functionality (though the Rogers modem config does not support HSUPA)
- Caller Name Display (as far as I can tell, no US carrier supports caller name display on their mobile networks, but Canadian firms do, so that explains why it’s missing)
- When using Maps, it seems that my direction wrong by about 90 degrees.
I think that swapping out the boot animations should be pretty simple, if I could figure out how to use make the bootsamsung.qmg files (which I believe are raw frame buffer files that are the animation) work from a bootanimation.zip file. A little more research and #2 could probably be solved. The other three require either more knowledge, or assistance from the guys who actually make Cognition.